Close
Newsletter Signup
Poll

Wheel lift differences

Posted: 9 years ago Quote #58783
Rank them in order of preference and please list your why.

Jerr-dan - Quick Pick (the newest one)
Dynamic - 601/701
Eagle claw
Century

(I'll be asking about the minutemen and sneaker in a different thread later)

I currently only have a Dynamic 601 and am looking at used trucks and don't know what the majority prefer and why.
Posted: 9 years ago Quote #41574
Forget about the Eagle Claw. They work good on a straight in hook, but do not hook up at much of an angle, and in this biz you need every advantage possible.

#1. Vulcan Intruder. Built very strong and has the best visibility. You can see the whole grab bar while hooking up.

#2. Recovery Solutions. A Dynamic copy with some improvments. The bolts holding the grab bar on are recessed so that they will not catch on the spoilers and tear them off of low sitting vehicles like the Dynamics will.

Never used a quick pick so I can't rate it.....

Serving Houston since 1979.....

Posted: 9 years ago Quote #48683
Eagle claw sucks as far as I'm concerned. We Own a 701 and a intruder. The intruder is the best as far as Im concern. The dynamic would be my second pick. Cant give my thoughts on recovery solutions, but what I can see it is a dynamic also. I did know a company that had a quick pick, and had problems with the hydr all the time, hoses binding mainly. Chevron out law also has a nice self loader but visability is bad.

If you did make your payment, then I wouldnt be here.
Posted: 9 years ago Quote #54725
Vulcan...

Do you have a pic of this Vulcan?

Also...we have a sneeker w a Dynamic head.  We just installed on our '01 F-350 (ext cab, LB) the rails for a fifth wheel/goos neck attachment.  With the Dynamic head and the "tail" will there be a problem with any fifth wheel units of the "tail" hitting the corners of the actual fifth wheel unit???

We were told with the new units, no problem but on some old fith wheels, there "may" be an issue.  We just had this installed Friday late so we havent even tried it out yet, practiced, etc.

If it does protrude to far (the tail that is) what head for the Sneeker would be recommended, suggested?  Will the Recovery Solutions head work on our Sneeker?  We are assuming yes...recessed bolts would be great and lessen the "worry" that we tear something off the front end.

Thanks in advance.

Michael Taylor
Recovery America, Inc.
Flint, MI USA
Posted: 9 years ago Quote #55230

alt="Vulcan - Model 810 Intruder"
      src="http://www.millerind.com/english/equipment/vulcan/v8102.jpg"
      width=434 border=0>

href="http://www.millerind.com/english/equipment/vulcan/v810.html#standard_features">Standard
      Features

href="http://www.millerind.com/english/equipment/vulcan/v810.html#optional_equipment">Optional
      Equipment

href="http://www.millerind.com/english/equipment/vulcan/v810.html#description">Description
      href="http://www.millerind.com/english/equipment/vulcan/vulcan.html"
      target=_top>Back to Product Line

href="http://www.millerind.com/english/equipment/vulcan/v810_lrg.jpg">      height=67 alt="Vulcan - Model 810 Intruder"
      src="http://www.millerind.com/english/equipment/vulcan/v810_small.jpg"
      width=100 border=0>
Click picture for larger

E-mail Dan!  Got on the phone with Dan!          

Posted: 9 years ago Quote #41576
Look at the pic Dan posted and check out the angle of the bed. It slopes down more than any other bed on the market and gives you a much better view of a hook-up. Also, it is built very sturdy. The only real minor draw back is that it sticks up a little further than the others.

You will have no problems with the "tail" hitting a 5th wheel, but you are supposed to have the jaws closed when towing like that. I have a Hy-Tech hitch on my Dynamic that will tow a 5th wheel or a gooseneck that sticks out much farther than your combo does, and my jaws do not come close to hitting.

If you installed the Dynamic head for their roll backs with the jaws that are removable with one bolt, then your head will fit flush with the bumper with no tail until you put those jaws on. That is really the correct head for the Sneeker/Dynamic combo. The new Dynamic Stealth grab bar would even be better because it breaks down even further to the point that all you have is a narrow portion of the bar itself that will fit between the wheels of a compact car. You could use that bar broke down like that to chain hook full time 4WD's and tow them very slowly for a short distance while the wheels free spin until you are a safe enough distance from the residence to drop the shaft and do a proper hook.

Shane has several pics of his truck with the Sneeker / Dynamic combo with the correct head. I'm sure he will email you some.

Posted: 9 years ago Quote #54724
Thanks for the reply.  I looked at the pics...good looking truck.  What type of money for something like that?  We have two trucks on road now...with a third in reserve (this has sling unit).  We are contemplating purchasing new truck, either a roll back or something like the Vulcan.  Exploring ideas, suggestions, feedback...thus the reason for asking the questions on here and with others in Michigan market area.

With respect to the Dynamic head...when we purchased that...we did NOT know there was a head with removable "tail" at that time.  Having stated that, it works well and does a great job.  It is closed when not in use and that is the way a 5th wheel would be towed as well.  But now that you are talking about this Dynamic Stealth grab bar...well...how much is it, where do I get it and does it too have the recessed bolts?  We are always open to updating equipment, especially if its quicker, easier and NO friggin tail to drive around with.

Thanks again for the information.  We are certain when Shane gets up and around and reads this, we'll hear from him as well.  Quite some time ago he e-mailed me several pics which I archived somewhere...I'll be looking for those more this afternoon.

Thanks again.  BTW...it is nice and cold here in Michigan...we have about 8-10 inches of snow on the ground here in Mid-Michigan.  Hope its warm in Texas!

Michael Taylor
Recovery America, Inc.
Flint, MI USA
Posted: 9 years ago Quote #44177
This is by far the worse truck I have ever used. As much flack as they get, the best truck I ever used was an NPR with the Dynamic 701. As Dan mentioned, the height was sufficient enough to see everything with the Izusu. Not to mention the other high points when using in the inner city.

Dave Branch

Posted: 9 years ago Quote #41577
I think the Vulcan Intruder is about 5K more than the Dynamic and Recovery Solutions, and thats probably why you don't see many. But, they are a superior lift IMO. Hy-Tech Hitches also makes a 5th wheel / gooseneck combo hitch for the Intruder like the one I have for my Dynamic. It weighs about 80 lbs. and will install in about 3 minutes, and when you are done with your tow, it comes off even quicker. They cost about $650.00.

As far as the Stealth grab bar, they are so new that I have no idea what they price out at, or if they have recessed bolts. You will have to contact Dynamic for that info. When you do find out, post it here.

Cold? Yes, its been cold here (Houston) too. been down in the low 30's at night and barely cracking 50 during the day. But we are having a warming trend now. It will be in the 70's in a couple of days. Although I left Mi. in 78, sometimes I do miss the snow. Used to have all the winter toys, a 4WD, snowmobile, etc.....

Posted: 9 years ago Quote #56767
I HAVE RECENTLY TRADED IN A FORD F450 WITH A VULCAN INTRUDER FOR A 2004 F550 WITH A DYNAMIC LIGHTENING, MUCH, MUCH NICER BED. I HAD THE VULCAN 13 MONTHS AND PUT TONS OF MONEY IN IT, I HAVE YET TO PUT ANYTHING REPAIR WISE ON THE DYNAMIC. TO COMPARE THE TRUCKS THEY LOOK VERY SIMILAR WITH THE ANGLE IN THE REAR, YOU CAN ALSO SEE THE CROSSBAR GO UNDER THE VEHICLE. FROM THE 11 MONTHS I HAVE HAD THE DYNAMIC, COMPARED TO THE VULCAN I HAVE SAVED THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS AND HOPEFULLY WILL NEVER HAVE TO BUY ANYTHING BUT THIS STYLE DYNAMIC.... GOOD LUCK IN YOUR TRUCK PURCHASING
Posted: 9 years ago Quote #53227
I have to agree with the masses....We have a dynamic 601 that is 8 years old, it just got it's first MAJOR repair a few months ago. Had to replace one of the cylinders. It's taken to task everything we've thrown at it. And to think I used to swear by Century...... (still like em) but love the dynamic.

Mike S.A.S
Posted: 9 years ago Quote #48682
I dont what you guys are doing with your trucks. Never had a problem with any intruder. Have you maintain them? Every Intruder I have owned didnt have any defects.

You guys cant be doing something right.

If you did make your payment, then I wouldnt be here.
Posted: 9 years ago Quote #49336
What kind of problems did you have?  What about the warranty?
I'm not against dynamic, but I have seen some of them snap like twigs, of course they were all 601's with this problem.

I think the Intruder is a much stronger unit from what I have seen.  They seem to carry the load better also.

What did you experience???
Posted: 9 years ago Quote #56768
YES THE VULCAN HAS SOME GREAT FEATURES, BUT IN ALL HONESTY AFTER THE WARRANTY EXPIRED AND EVEN BEFORE THE WARRANTY EXPIRED IT HAD TONS OF PROBLEMS, I DONT WANT TO SMASH ON VULCAN CAUSE I LOVE THEIR CARRIERS AND THEIR IDEAS. SOME OF THE PROBLEMS ...
EVERY SIX MONTHS TRUCK HAD TO HAVE NEW BUSHINGS IN THE BED, THE BED IS MADE IN SECTIONS AND THE BUSHINGS FALL OUT AND CAUSE THE BED TO SAG AND MAKE TONS OF NOISE. THE TRUCK HAD TONS OF WIRING PROBLEMS AND HALF THE TIME ONLY ONE CORNER OF THE BED HAD TAILIGHTS. HOSES WAS ANOTHER ISSUE, WE WERE TO THE POINT WHERE WE COULD CHANGE HOSES IN OUR SLEEP. AT 13 MONTHS OLD HAD TO BASICALLY REBUILD THE TRUCK ALL AGAIN.. INCLUDING PUTTING ALL NEW CROSSBAR AND PTO. THAT TRUCK SAT ALMOST MORE THAN IT WORKED. HONESTLY THE DYNAMIC LIGHTENING WHICH IS A 701 TOWS JUST AS GOOD AND THE VIEW IS AS GOOD OR BETTER IN MY OPINION. THE DYNAMIC IN THE LAST YEAR WAS A HOSE ( NOT THEIR FAULT) DRIVER PUT MOTORCYCLE ATTACHMENT IN BOX AND RUBBED HOSE. BED ALSO HAD TO BE REPAINTED, AGAIN NOT DYNAMICS FAULT BUT THE BUILDERS. IN THE LAST YEAR I HAVE SAVED THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS IN REPAIRS AND  ME AND THE GUYS AGREE THAT WE HOPE TO KEEP BUYING THE DYNAMIC LIGHTENING.